According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the average household can lose more than 10,000 gallons of water every year due to plumbing leaks. If you don’t want your water bill to be sky-high, it is important to identify and fix any plumbing issues as soon as possible. While major plumbing problems should always be left to a professional plumbing company, like JD Precision Plumbing Services, there are some simple fixes you can do yourself.
The most common causes of plumbing leaks include loose or cracked pipes, corroded fittings, and worn-out seals. Before starting any repairs, ensure the water supply is shut off so there won’t be any accidents.
For loose pipes, start by turning off the water supply and draining any remaining water. Use a wrench to tighten any bolts that may have come loose, and apply the plumber’s tape around threads for extra security. You can also use clamps to hold the pipes together or install a support bracket if necessary.
Cracked pipes can be trickier to repair as they may require replacement parts. Start by turning off the water supply and draining all remaining water in the pipe. If you are comfortable doing so, use epoxy putty or silicone glue to patch small cracks. However, it is best to contact a professional plumbing company for larger cracks to ensure the problem is fixed correctly.
Finally, corroded fittings and worn-out seals can also be common causes of leaks. To repair these issues, you will need to replace the old parts with new ones. Start by turning off the water supply and disconnecting both ends of the pipe before removing the old parts. Make sure you buy the right size and type of part before proceeding to replace them.
By understanding the common causes of household plumbing leaks, you can be prepared to fix any small issues that may arise. However, if a more major plumbing problem arises, it is always best to contact a professional plumbing company for help.
Tips for finding the best plumber in town:
- Check reviews on reputable sites such as Yelp and Google.
- Make sure the plumber is licensed and insured.
- Ask for referrals from family and friends who have used plumbing services.
- Research their background to see how long they have been in business, and read up on customer complaints.
- Ask for an estimate on the cost of services upfront, and make sure they guarantee their work.
- Make sure they provide emergency services should you need them in the future.
- Ask any questions you may have to ensure you are comfortable with their services before hiring them.
Taking the time to find the right plumber can help ensure that your plumbing needs are met quickly and safely. So, what are you waiting for? Start your search today and get the help you need to fix those pesky plumbing leaks!